The manor of Ansty was granted to the order of the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem by Walter de Turberville in 1210-11. The ancient barn is built on the site of a ‘Commandery’, the mediaeval headquarters of the Order, where it is thought that the original building had been built as a hospice for pilgrims.
At the turn of the century, pioneers such as Scott and Shackleton defined the golden age of exploration. Today their original huts, still with interiors intact from their time of departure stand in Antarctica – one of the most unforgiving places on earth.
Every truss in the hammer beam roof of Stirling Castle had to be made to slightly different dimensions and pitch because of the bow in the west wall.
The tythe barn is a beautiful thatched structure made from local stone and reed from nearby Otmoor. As part of the restoration project Carpenter Oak & Woodland carried out extensive work to the timber frame.
When Windsor Castle tragically caught fire in 1992, the charred main beams were the only part of the kitchen’s lantern roof to survive.